In my last post I detailed the removal of our former kitchen, and so far all seemed to have gone well. But sat working at my dining table later that day I noticed a small movement out of the corner of my eye…and looking up, I realised it was a (not-so-little) mouse that had crept in through one of the pipework holes in the kitchen floor! Whilst I’m not particularly upset by mice (this is London after all) I definitely don’t want them in my house. Fortunately it disappeared back where it came from and I was able to block up the hole with pieces of the old kitchen. (I also put out some traps, but given my husband ate the chocolate I bought for bait I didn’t hold out much hope of them working!)
The latest on our kitchen works
That aside, as the week proceeded, works continued and all seemed to be going well. This included turning the boiler through 90 degrees which was the job everyone had seemed most concerned about.
Cause for concern
Currently, there are just 2 problems which have been flagged and these are as follows:
1) On Thursday the electrician advised that our current kitchen electrics aren’t fully safe. He was reluctant to work on them and especially without our electrical safety certificate -which we can’t find. Fixing the electrics has become a bigger job than expected; in turn it is set to be more expensive than we had thought,. But we will need a safety certificate, ensuring our safety, as well as that of any one living here in the future.
2) We are keeping our old kitchen’s wine cooler but hadn’t realised part of the floor underneath had been cut out to accommodate its height. The new kitchen units will leave this part of the floor exposed. Our hope is we can salvage a wood panel from another part of the kitchen floor to fill the gap, which the builders have said they’ll try and help with, and then match the colour.
Saturday morning: All systems go!
The LWK Kitchens office had called earlier in the week to ask if they could bring our kitchen installation forward a day from Tuesday to Monday. The builders had no problem with this, and for us it would mean everything being finished sooner. So the kitchen delivery was also brought forward to Saturday. Come first thing Saturday morning our house was a hive of activity, with the electrician, the plasterer, the builders, and then the kitchen delivery…and all before 10:00am!
Quality control for the kitchen delivery
All of LWK’s kitchens are manufactured in Germany then delivered by lorry to our UK storage site. From here, each item of furniture is individually checked before delivery to customers. It is this system that enabled LWK Kitchens to tell us straight away that one of our kitchen’s wall units had been damaged en route from Germany.
Whilst this is rare, it can happen. When it does, the damaged item can be immediately reordered by scanning the barcode on the item’s box. Every item of furniture has this barcode, so on receipt of the scan Germany will know immediately which part needs to be remade, and for which customer. Along with this, every item of furniture (and appliances) also have the clients name and unique order number displayed on the label, ensuring a kitchen delivery will never go to the wrong site!
Unloading the kitchen delivery
The picture gallery below probably tells the story better than I can, but one point worth mentioning in the midst of the kitchen delivery is the care the team took in bringing in each piece of the furniture and appliances. The entry to our flat has a communal hallway and staircase, following which there is a tight turn and another flight of stairs which leads to the kitchen. The team were really careful navigating these tight turns and mindful of our walls, floors and bannisters. Given it was already 25 degrees at this time of the morning, they did an amazing job: