Kitchen project notes
The client was keen to make the most of a small open plan space, yet establish a feel of the kitchen and living room as being two separate rooms.
The Design / Solution:
The client was keeping their existing floor so needed a kitchen colour and style to complement. They really liked the all-white kitchen look, complete with an all-white kitchen worktop, and this was certain to work with their flooring. We also suggested a reflective gloss finish which would help make the kitchen look and feel larger, brighter and more comfortable. The handleless kitchen design gives a sleek and impressive finish but also benefits small kitchens as it takes up less physical space.
The Kitchen Peninsula:
This small white kitchen design is now one of the kitchen installations we get asked about most. It is a design successful as much for its fresh look as for its great use of space and highly functional G-shaped kitchen layout. This kitchen is proof that a kitchen island or peninsula can work within a small kitchen space. It doesn’t waste the floor space and instead, this peninsula creates an efficient working site by carrying out the following functions:-
- It is the cooking zone for the kitchen, with flat unobtrusive induction hob on the surface, and subtle suspended pendant extractor overhead. The extractor is functional but also decorative, and essentially for a small kitchen, it saves on space elsewhere. The oven is located a short distance opposite but slightly staggered. This allows food to be easily moved between oven and peninsula with just a brief turn of the heel.
- The peninsula contains storage on the kitchen facing side of it including drawers, a pan drawer and 150mm wine cooler.
- It creates the physical divide that the client wanted between kitchen and living area, helping establish them as two separate rooms.
- The peninsula is sociable, letting users cook whilst still engaging with people on the other side of it.
- The peninsula has a slight overhang, allowing for a bar stool at the far side of it, enabling use of this area for eating or working. The choice of induction rather than gas hob facilitates this as you can safely lean or put things on its smooth flat surface, when it is switched off and not being used for cooking.
Storage and Appliances:
This kitchen also includes all appliances and items specified by the client including a double oven with storage space above, a large freestanding fridge, a le mans corner unit, a pull out larder and internal pull out drawers to help maintain tidy and accessible kitchen storage.
The client was delighted with the efficient use of space and felt the kitchen layout was perfect for the open plan room. The peninsula introduces extra storage space, additional worktop space and an area that might also be used for extra seating.